How to Prepare your Lawn for Spring in Florida
Springtime is beautiful down here in Florida, but spring means it's time to prep your lawn after the cooler winter months. Lawn prep is important to keeping your lawn looking great all year round!
There are a few things you can do to get your lawn ready for spring in FL:
- Rake up any leaves or other debris that has built up over the winter. This will help keep your lawn healthy and allow new growth to come through.
- Aerate your lawn. This will help the soil breathe and improve drainage.
- Mow your lawn short - about 2 inches high. This will help keep the grass strong and healthy through the summer months.
- Water your lawn regularly, especially during dry spells. Check out our Cape Coral watering schedule for more information on when to water.
- Reseed any areas of your lawn that may have been damaged over the winter. This will help fill in any bald spots and give your lawn a fresh start.
- Fertilize your lawn using a good quality fertilizer. This will help promote new growth and get your lawn ready for the warmer months ahead.
- Mulch your lawn using a 2-3 inch layer of mulch. This will help keep the soil moist, suppress weed growth, and add nutrients to the soil.
- Lawn edging is optional, but can really enhance the appearance of your lawn.
Should You Fertilize Before or After Mowing?
Fertilizing your lawn before you mow is generally recommended. This will help the fertilizer to stick to the grass blades and be absorbed by the plants. If you fertilize after you mow, the fertilizer may end up on the ground instead of on the lawn.
However, if your lawn is especially tall, it may be easier to mow first and then fertilize. This will help to cut the grass blades down to a more manageable length and make it easier to spread the fertilizer evenly.
Get Professional Lawn Care Help
If you need professional help for your lawn and are located in or around Cape Coral, contact Tony's! We will get you started with a free estimate and $20 off when you sign up for a lawn care package. Check out our lawn care services to learn more about what we offer at Tony's Pest Control.